Cranberries are one of God’s little tasty gifts to all of us. I think it’s just to remind us that the tart comes with the sweet. Naturally sweetened, in this recipe, of course.
It’s simple to make, simple in just 5 – 10 minutes, simple ingredients and simply delicious! Oooh, and for those of us who love the tart-sweet and decadent joys of cranberries with chocolate, you have to dip dark chocolate squares into your freshly made cranberry sauce. Don’t forget to try the dark chocolate with orange bits…decadently delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this cranberry sauce recipe:
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- honey or maple syrup
- the zest from one orange, or orange juice
And a pot to cook it in. That’s it.
adapted from: cookie and kate
- 12 ounces (1 bag) fresh cranberries – organic if possible
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup, Note: I used 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Zest of 1 medium orange, preferably organic (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- optional: top with a couple tablespoons chopped pecans
- First rinse cranberries and drain off excess water. Pick through cranberries and discard any squishy ones.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, honey/maple syrup and water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have popped and the mixture has thickened to your liking, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the orange zest, cinnamon and orange juice. Taste and if the mixture is too tart, keeping in mind that cranberry sauce is supposed to be a little tart, add more honey or maple syrup to taste.
- The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. It will keep refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
Note: If you are obsessed like I am over keeping things clean, then I highly recommend using a lid when cooking the cranberries. When they pop, they splatter everywhere and it’s a sticky splatter. So just be ware and…
Enjoy one of the delicious gifts from God!