I love Mexican food! One of my favorite meals is Chicken Tortilla Soup. I can honestly say this recipe for Chicken Enchilada Soup just topped my favorite. Actually, they are both very similar, with lots of south-of-the-border ingredients; cilantro, cumin, chili powder and adding quinoa, fire roasted tomatoes and enchilada sauce…well, that’s brilliant, healthy and muy caliente!
This Mexican-inspired, quick no-fuss soup can be put into your slow cooker, turned on and in 6 hours you’ll have a delicious, warm and spicy meal. All the while you can be out having fun or catching up on that never ending to-do list. Whatever you do don’t pass this season up without making a pot of this deliciously spicy soup.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
adapted from cookingclassy
- 28 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups gluten free mild red enchilada sauce
- 1-14 ounce can diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste – optional
- 1 pound chicken breast (I use chicken tenders)
- 1 medium onion sliced (I use about 3 slices)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or with garlic press
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups corn -optional
- 1 – 14 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, yogurt and tortilla chips
In 6 quart slow cooker add chicken broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, chicken, onion, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat about 5 1/2 hours. Remove onion. Add quinoa and cook on low for an additional 30 to 60 minutes, until quinoa is done.
While quinoa is cooking in slow cooker chop cilantro and shred or dice chicken. When quinoa is done add black beans, corn – if using and chicken to slow cooker. Let heat on warm or low until heated through. Stir in avocado and cilantro.
Serve warm and with your favorite toppings.