Oh my gosh… this is delicious. I mean, mouth watering, I can’t wait to have another bite, delicious. Have you ever tasted anything, that’s not a dessert, but has you dreaming about another sweet and savory bite? This Italian dish of turkey meat balls, spaghetti squash and chickpea noodles is all that and more.
I’m part Italian and I grew up learning to cook Italian food. Eating Italian was a tradition in my family. But with tradition comes change and this recipe for Turkey Meatballs in Marinara Sauce is an easy and healthy rendition to my family classic recipe. Molto buona!
Turkey Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
- 1-25 oz jar of Muir Glen Organic Cabernet Marinara or Garden Vegetable Sauce – ( I use to make my own from scratch, but found this brand to be easy, delicious and cost saving)
- 2 tablespoons of above marinara sauce
- 1/2 pound ground dark turkey meat
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion or more to your liking ( I use red onion )
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons Chef Shake seasoning (The Spice Hunter)
- 2 tablespoons ground GF Mesa Sunrise Cereal (I use this in place of bread crumbs)
- 3 tablespoons ground dried basil
- 3 tablespoons ground dried oregano
Whisk egg until frothy. Add turkey meat and all of the above ingredients, but just the 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce. Stir together until well combined.
Lightly oil ( I use grape seed oil or avocado oil )electric skillet or large frying pan.
Form meatballs by using a spoon or your hands and place in skillet or frying pan. Cook at 3000 to 3250 in skillet and medium heat on stove, for frying pan. Turn meatballs as they brown on each side. Turn down heat if meatballs start to burn. You may need to add a little more oil during cooking. I also like to cover the skillet or frying pan with a lid, part way through cooking. Cook until done, about 10 minutes. Just before meatballs are done I like to add the marinara sauce to the skillet. This will warm the sauce and add a nice flavoring to the meatballs.
While meatballs are cooking prepare your spaghetti squash and noodles.
Spaghetti squash – slice off ends and slice in halve length wise. Remove seeds with a spoon. Place cut side down in baking dish with just a little water, enough to cover bottom of dish. With end of paring knife poke 3 or 4 holes in top of squash. Cover and microwave for about 7 to 8 minutes (for medium size squash). Remove excess water and let sit until slightly cool and ready to eat. When ready to eat scrape squash from skin with fork or spoon and place in dish. Add Marinara sauce to liking.
Noodles – I use “Explore Cuisine” Organic Chickpea Fusilli Pasta (Costco sells this pasta). Use your favorite pasta. This is my new favorite!
Place water in medium size sauce pan and add a tablespoon of oil. Bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook as directed on box. When done drain water. Place in dish and top with marinara sauce.